Menopur 1 vial vs 2 vials?

Emmi

Menopur 1 vial vs 2 vials?

Post by Emmi »

I met with my doc today and went over my med dosages for my next IVF cycle. I am doing the micro-flare protocol as the long lupron protocol over suppressed me. I was informed I would be doing 1 vial of Menopur (along with the Lupron & Follistim dosage). I had asked why I would only be doing 1 vial of Menopur this time instead of the 2 vials (one in AM one in PM) like I did with my last flare IVF. I was informed that the other RE in the office would Rx the 2 vials but he thought it would be better to do 1 vial, that it could give us a chance of retrieving more follicles.
My RE did give me the option to do 2 vials if I wanted to, I have about 5 days before I have to start everything and am trying to do my research to see what would be best. I found a study showing that the use of Menopur can give one a higher success rate but not sure if that is actaully the case or not. I guess I am just trying to find out the pros & cons to using only 1 Menopur in the AM vs. 1 Menopur in the AM & PM.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Menopur 1 vial vs 2 vials?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

Many doctors do not use any Menopur in the mini flare protocol. Menopur contains both FSH and LH; Gonal-F, Follistim and Bravelle are pure FSH. Many believe that the Lupron dose in the flare protocol does not suppress LH enough to require extra in the medication. Some doctors are using a little LH in the protocol.

Your doctor should be an expert in designing a protocol to suit you and I would suggest you leave it up to him/her to decide what dose is best for you and not try to create your own recipe. Just make sure that doctor has all the facts about how you responded previously.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
Emmi

Re: Menopur 1 vial vs 2 vials?

Post by Emmi »

In Reply To:

Your doctor should be an expert in designing a protocol to suit you and I would suggest you leave it up to him/her to decide what dose is best for you and not try to create your own recipe. Just make sure that doctor has all the facts about how you responded previously.

There are 2 REs in my docs office. With my last fresh cycle I worked with the RE 'A' in the office and he did the same protocol, same Follistim dosage and everything I am on now, except he has me on a vial of Menopur in the AM & PM. We had great numbers 20 eggs, 16 mature at retrieval.

This fresh cycle I am working with RE 'B' he looked over my records from the last cycle and has me on the same protcole just took out the vial of Menopur in the PM.

I totally trust him - and I know he is an expert in designing a protocol to best suit me but it made me a bit nervous since he said I could do the Menopur in the PM if I wanted to. Since we had such good numbers with that protocol last time I wanted to stick with something that worked, but yet I also would like to see what this could do - I guess I am just scared it wont give me as many mature eggs in the end.

Thank you for explaining the difference of the meds.