Day 5 early blastocyst

oldmom
User

Day 5 early blastocyst

Post by oldmom »

Yesterday, I had a Day 5 transfer of one early blastocyst. We used an egg lot of 7 from DEB USA and my husband's sperm. Of those 7, 5 fertilized, on day 3, we had 2 good embryos, 1 fair, and 2 poor, and only two made it to early blastocyst stage on day 5. We learned today (day 6) that none of the remaining embryos (including the early blastocyst that was not transferred) stopped developing. Does that sound normal for a donor in her early 20's? Are there any implications for the early blastocyst that we did transfer (or are the odds of success with that one completely independent of the others)? What is the success rate with day 5 early blastocyst transfers?
Thank you!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Day 5 early blastocyst

Post by Dr. Wisot »

In the human reproductive system there is a huge amount of loss. This result from a young donor illustrates this. For example if the donor herself was exposed to the possibility of pregnancy it might take six months or more for her to get pregnant. In each of those other months the fate of each egg might have been the same in her as your five that did not make blast. Then in the sixth month she might have developed one to the blastocyst stage. That's why DEB gave you six eggs, hoping that in reproductive math that one or two would make it to a transferable embryo.

This is less of a result that one would hope for. But if the one that was transferred is "the little embryo that could" and becomes a healthy baby you will have done well.

What happened to the others will not influence the one that was transferred.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
oldmom
User

Post by oldmom »

Thank you, Dr. Wisot! I just thought that a woman in her 20s would have a higher percentage of "good eggs," so the fact that I had no gradable blasts on day 5, combined with the fact that nothing else survived day 6, could indicate that there was some issue with the egg lot or other factor, suggesting that the one we did transfer would be less likely to be "the one."
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

What will be most important in determining the fate of this embryo is it's chromosomal makeup and with the egg coming from a 20 year old it has a good chance of being normal. Sometimes the chromosomally abnormal embryos look the best and the ones a little slow to develop are chromosomally normal, like the ones we have to wait until day 6 to biopsy.

So, here's hoping.

Let us know how it turns out. We all care.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
oldmom
User

Post by oldmom »

Thank you! This helps to ease my mind a ton! In the meantime, I'm letting little Obi Wan in there know that he's our only hope. :)
oldmom
User

Post by oldmom »

Looks like little Obi Wan stuck! Positive pregnancy test and just found out my beta more than doubled in the two days since my first one. Thanks again for easing my mind during that stressful 2ww.