FET after failed IVF fresh cycle #1

sa2610

FET after failed IVF fresh cycle #1

Post by sa2610 »

Dr.:

I posted last week about taking a HPT 5dp5dt. Unfortunately, my beta came back 0 and our first IVF fresh cycle failed. I am completely devastated. Everything was "perfect" so I don't understand why it did not work. We do have a follow up with our RE to discuss a frozen cycle. We have two 5-day blasts, 8-cell that made it to freeze. I am worried about trying a frozen cycle. How could a frozen cycle work if a normal "excellent" fresh cycle did not? Also, my doctor said there isa 40% chance but he is "optimistic". I don't understand how 40% looks optimistic. Any insight on frozen cycles? Should I wait a cycle or two? I am almost 34 years old and am scared we are running out of time.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: FET after failed IVF fresh cycle #1

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

Frozen cycles often do work even when the fresh did not. One factor could be an overstimulated endometrium in a fresh cycle when the estrogen levels can go well over physiologic levels. Even with great embryo quality each embryo has a "% chance" of implanting and it's certainly not close to 100%.

I usually wait one cycle for the endometrium to get back to normal and then start the FET. If you did not have some evaluation of the cavity before the fresh cycle like an HSG, sonohysterogram or hysteroscopy this would be a good time to do it.

Frozens are getting better and better. Give those embryos a little love and maybe they will work for you. ;)

Arthur L. Wisot, M.D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California