Ovary inaccessible

Mtntn
User

Ovary inaccessible

Post by Mtntn »

Dear Dr. Wisot,

Firstly, thank you for providing such a valuable support to so many of us and being so generous with your time answering all our questions.

I turned 40 in Feb and have never tried for children before. My question relates to my first cycle earlier in the year (May) which didn't end so well.

While I have never had any symptoms of PCOS, during my consultation I was diagnosed with PCOS.
I was put on an antagonist cycle and by the end stims, I had approx 35 follicles with approx 27 which were seemingly in the appropriate size range, which is when I did the trigger. My estradiol was quite low for the number of follicles, however, my RE wasn't too concerned. I had my egg collection and unfortunately, my RE was only able to retrieve 12 eggs as she was not able to access one of my ovaries. I was quite disappointed as given my age and PCOS, I felt I would have had a greater chance of success if whatever eggs that were there were retrieved. Six of my embryos made it to blast stage (4 x day 5, 2 x Day 6), however unfortunately after PGS it was determined they were all abnormal. There was no consistent abnormality so they think it was just very bad luck.

I spoke with my RE about my ovary not being accessible and she said that as my ovary had grown due to the number of follicles, there was no space, so it moved above my uterus making it inaccessible during EC.

1. I was wondering if this is quite common? I can't seem to find much on the internet.

2. Are ovaries at that stage of stims very mobile? I would have thought that given the size of my ovary (13+ follicles on that side) it would have been visible at the last scan (morning of trigger) that my ovary had moved above my uterus.

As I'm planning another round I'm so nervous of the same outcome. I wonder if I should ask my RE about a scan the morning of egg collection just in case the same thing happens and at least they may be able to make an alternative plan?

Thank you again Dr. Wisot for your opinion,
Brianna,
Boston, MA
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Ovary inaccessible

Post by Dr. Wisot »

This is unusual but it happens. It's a shame when an ovary with so many promising follicles floats up and out of reach.

The first egg retrievals were done laparoscopically until our Dr. Meldrum did the first ultrasound guided retrieval in the U.S, that resulted in a pregnancy. So I would suggest that they set you up in an OR in which they could do the ovary that is inaccessible by laparoscopy. If it does not become inaccessible then they just do both by ultrasound guidance. Another option is to do it by abdominal ultrasound but there are very few REs who have that skill.

Let us all know how it turns out.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
Mtntn
User

Post by Mtntn »

Dear Dr. Wisot,

Thank you for your reply.

That makes a lot of sense about doing the procedure in an OR, at least that way there are options! I will speak to my RE and see what she says. Fingers crossed this one proves more successful :)

I will let you know how I get on!
Thank you,
Brianna
Mtntn
User

Post by Mtntn »

Dear Dr. Wisot,

I wanted to let you know that I had my second egg retrieval in the OR and thankfully my RE retrieved eggs from both ovaries :D I was so happy. Thank you again for your advice. I had 32 eggs retrieved, 23 fertilized and I ended up with 8 x day 5 blasts and 8 x day 6 blasts. I was diagnosed with PCO in earlier this year before my first round, hence the high numbers.

I'm now awaiting PGS results. I know it is a great number of blasts, however, as none of my six back in May were normal, I have PCO and I'm 40, I am so terrified that none of the 16 will be normal.

If I can ask one more question :) While there were no consistencies in the abnormalities last time, is it common for a person never ever to be able to create any pgs normal embryos? Have you seen this?

Thank you Dr. Wisot,
Brianna
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Bravo!

It sounds like a great result and I will predict you will have at least 2-3 normal embryos. At age 40, even with no normal previously, odds are you will have some this time. I'll bet on the odds.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Redondo Beach, California
Mtntn
User

Post by Mtntn »

Thank you Dr. Wisot! I will let you know the outcome! 🤞
Mtntn
User

Post by Mtntn »

Dear Dr. Wisot

I wanted to let you know the good news. I had 6 aneuploid embryos the first round, and would you believe beat the odds the second time and got six euploid embryos!! So very happy :) Thank you for all your help! Next hurdle is the transfer :)

Bri
Dr. Amin
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Amin »

Hi Brianna,

This is great news that I will pass on to Dr. Wisot! It is always nice to hear of a good result. Thank you for sharing your story on our fertility forum. I wish you the best of luck with the embryo transfer.

Dr. Marli Amin
Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Orange County, CA