how many IVF cycles might I need?

olympia

how many IVF cycles might I need?

Post by olympia »

I am 40, nearly 41, with a possible DOR (D3 FSH varies between 12 and 22, day 3 E2 is between 32 and 80, AMH is between 0.16 and 0.38, and the early antral follicle count is about 9-11 total). Is it realistic to assume that 1 cycle of IVF with my own eggs could be successful? I am worried about making a decision, as I may not be able to afford an additional donor cycle IVF if my own eggs turn out to be not viable.

Thanks!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: how many IVF cycles might I need?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

This is a tough decision as I know you would prefer of course to use your own eggs but you have a number of challenges that would make for a low potential success rate for IVF with your own eggs.

If you could afford to do a cycle on your own and then a egg donation cycle (now that they can be less expensive with frozen donor eggs through Donor Egg Bank USA you could try with your own eggs first. If you are strictly limited to one cycle I would opt for the donor egg option at age 41 with previous high FSH and low AMH. :?

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
olympia

Post by olympia »

Thank you, Dr. Wisot.
olympia

Post by olympia »

Dr. Wisot,

Do my hormone results (CD3 FSH between 12 and 22, CD3 E2 between 32 and 80, AMH between 0.16 and 0.38) mean that I am entering menopause at age 40? (I am also a bit concerned about the embarrassment this will cause).

Also, my AMH varies (measured at different labs), jumping around from 0.1 to 0.38. However, my recent results from the same lab showed a decrease from 0.3 last August to 0.1 this week, and this made the doctor I saw have decreased hopes that my IVF could be at all successful. I frequently have AFC of 9-11, which I believe is not consistent with AMH. Since last fall, my FSH had variations as well: e.g., In Feb 2012, FSH = 22.8, E2 =63, in March 2012, FSH = 12, E2 =61.

I hear that women with similar values do get pregnant (IVF, IUI), though. Are these hormone results completely predictive of the pregnancy success?

Thank you.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

Those levels are not "completely predictive" of the outcome of an IVF cycle but they do represent significant challenges. It is generally felt that one's highest FSH governs their prognosis. So, as I said before if you have the resources to do both you can try it but if one try is all you have I would vote for egg donation especially since it's easier and cheaper with frozen donor eggs through Donor Egg Bank USA.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California