Complete Aneuploidy at 33

Susan07
User

Complete Aneuploidy at 33

Post by Susan07 »

Hello Doctor,

After a year of trying to conceive with timed intercourse, we got pregnant but lost the baby to Trisomy 18. We then unexpectedly got pregnant again the following month but lost the baby to a “variation of Turner Syndrome”.

We did the full fertility work up and nothing concerning was found. Except, my amh dropped from 4.7 to 2.9 in one year (I don’t know if that’s significant). We both did full Karyotypes and carrier screening. Nothing abnormal except we both have a single MTHFR mutation.

I just did my first STIMS and egg retrieval. I was on estradiol, menopur, follistim, and Ganirelix for 6 days at the end. I did a low dose hcg (1,250u) and Lupron trigger.

I had 17 mature eggs and 5 immature eggs retrieved. ICSI was performed on all but only 10 fertilized. I was told the other eggs did not even activate. Of the 10 fertilized, only 2 made it to day 5 blasts. I’m awaiting PGS results on those 2 embryos.

Taking into consideration my entire history and IVF results, is it possible that all my eggs are aneuploid at only 33 years old?

Thank you.
Dr. Amin
Site Admin

Re: Complete Aneuploidy at 33

Post by Dr. Amin »

Hi Susan,

I’m sorry to hear about your pregnancy losses. It sounds like you’re on the correct path for achieving a healthy pregnancy. It’s very unlikely, but possible, that a 33 year-old woman would have all abnormal eggs. If both of your embryos turn out to be abnormal after PGS testing, my suggestion would be to speak with your doctor about modifications you could make to improve the outcome of future IVF cycles. For instance, sometimes we’ll change the medication regimen, not do ICSI, etc. Sometimes it takes some trial and error to figure out what’s best for your eggs/embryos.

My fingers are crossed that you’ll get a good outcome from this cycle!

Dr. Amin

Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Susan07
User

Post by Susan07 »

Dr Amin,

Thank you very much for your reply. You mentioned that sometimes you will modify treatments and not do ICSI. I was just wondering what positive effect that might have?

Also, my RE mentioned that if we proceed with another retrieval we will use a calcium solution during fertilization to help with egg activation since we had such a poor fertilization rate. Does your practice ever use this strategy? One thought I had was, why would we help force activation to get the egg to fertilize if the egg is inherently chromosomally defective? Won’t we just end up with more fertilized eggs that then become more failed embryos?

Thank you for your time,
Susan
Dr. Amin
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Amin »

Hi Susan,

In regards to your question about not doing ICSI, we sometimes find that with men who have normal semen analyses, fertilization is better with natural IVF. This is not always the case, but it is something to consider depending on your partner’s semen analysis results.

In regards to your question about using a calcium solution to improve fertilization, our center does do that on occasion if a couple has had consistently poor fertilization rates.

Lastly, just because some of the eggs did not fertilize, that does not mean that they are chromosomally abnormal. Improving the fertilization rate may give you more embryos to test in the end.

Hope this helps.

Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Susan07
User

Post by Susan07 »

Dr Amin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. We were shocked to hear our only 2 embryos that made it to day 5 were PGS normal!!

I will remember all the info you provided when we consider another retrieval.

Thank you,
Susan