Multiple Failed IVF Cycles

Lou89

Multiple Failed IVF Cycles

Post by Lou89 »

I have had 3 failed IVF cycles and wanted to get some advice. We did a three day transfer on my first IVF cycle that resulted in a BFN. With Cycle # 2 two morulas were transferred on day 5 and again BFN. IVF #3 was cancelled due to only one blast and Dr said it would only produce a chemical pregnancy if we did the transfer. I'm still not ready for the Egg Donor conversation, so wanted to see if you ever see success after multiple failed IVF cycles. I am 41 and each time produce 8-9 eggs with about a 70% fertilization rate.

Thanks for your help!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Failed IVF Cycles

Post by Dr. Wisot »

A lot depends the details of what was done in your previous cycles and your current FSH level but we have certainly seen success in the third cycle. That's the basis of our Success program, getting patients to do that third cycle and give themselves that extra chance for success by giving them that cycle for free when they have paid for two global cycles at RPMG.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
Lou89

Post by Lou89 »

Thanks Dr. Wisot. Also what are your thoughts on mini or natural ivf? Specifically for women in my age group.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Minimal stimulation IVF is a decent strategy when someone has a reasonable FSH level and can achieve decent embryo quality but does not respond to stimulation well. You said that you make 8-9 eggs so I don't know what advantage this would be for you.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Lou89

Post by Lou89 »

Since i am producing 8-9 eggs, Should I just try regular ivf again? My fsh scores have been 8.1, 5.6 and 7.8 over the past year.

Also if we keep seeing poor embryo quality after each cycle i assume this is an indicator that a high portion of my eggs are bad. So is there a reasonable chance if I continue with ivf that we will eventually find that last good egg?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

If the problem is poor embryo quality there are some strategies to improve embryo quality which may be helpful. I am sorry that I cannot get into the details of protocols here as I am not able to give specific advice to people who are not our patients.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Lou89

Post by Lou89 »

Dr Wisot,

I also wanted to ask your thoughts on Dhea? Is that something that could help with poor embryo quality?

Kim
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

DHEA is thought to increase the number of follicles capable of being stimulated. I do not know of any evidence that it increases embryo quality.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Lou89

Post by Lou89 »

Thanks Dr Wisot!