Progesterone Level at 10 weeks

dltwins

Progesterone Level at 10 weeks

Post by dltwins »

Hi Dr. Wisot, I am 35 and 10 weeks pregnant with a singleton (thanks to RPMG @Westminster) and have been having my progesterone monitored each week. Its been all over the map but generally trending down from 31 (week 7) to 25 (week 8) to 16 (week 9) and still at 16 in week 10.

I was released to my OB last week (week 9) pending progesterone level coming back over 20 but it didn't (level was 16) so I stayed on the PIO (.5cc) and came back for a 10 week u/s and blood work again today. Dr. Ciccianti said she was looking to see a level at least at 20. But then I got the call this afternoon that my level came back at 16 AND this time I was told not to continue the PIO shots and that I was released from RPMG. I'm a bit concerned given the doctors earlier comment that she was looking for a level over 20 and would like to know if I should call back? or continue PIO until I see my OB? Should I be worried? (in case you didn't notice, I already am)

Is there a reason my progesterone level would be going down instead of up? Everything I've read says it should go up as the pregnancy progresses.

Thanks for your help!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Progesterone Level at 10 weeks

Post by Dr. Wisot »

By ten weeks the placenta normally produces all the progesterone a pregnancy needs regardless of the blood level. The level is most important earlier and usually does go down in normal pregnancies and after 10 weeks supplementation is usually not necessary.

Since you are obviously concerned I do suggest you talk to Dr. Cassidenti to relieve your mind as she knows your situation and I don't.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California