Polyps and conception

Faith4Baby

Polyps and conception

Post by Faith4Baby »

Hi Dr. Wisot!

So I recently had my sonogram and trial transfer appt at RP, and to my dismay things were put on hold due to the finding of polyps in my uterus. We were set to start injectibles on our journey to our first IVF after 2 failed IUI's at another doctor.

I was really excited to start this process, and As u can guess I felt like I was thrown back a few steps, but on the other hand being a couple with unknown fertility issues prior to this finding, its nice to finally know why we were not getting pregnant. I've been educated that having a polyp acts as a natural IUD...and was so glad it was found and didn't have to experience a miscarriage or repeated IVF failures.

We are anxious to have the procedure/polpectemy done so we can get back on track.

My question is, now that the cause is known, and my uterus will be good, would u recommend jumping right back to IVF? Or try IUI, or heck try on our own?
I've read after the procedure pregnancy likelihood is good!
And how long do most patients need to stay down after the procedure before trying IVF again?

I am 42 so that's a factor...otherwise all else is good. Husband, blood, etc!

Thank you!

Any input would be appreciated!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Polyps and conception

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

The discovery of the polyp is a step designed to make your IVF more likely to succeed. It is frustrating to have to take a brief pause when you were ready to start, but anything that is helpful in giving you a better chance of success is worthwhile.

But it does not mean that this is a factor that at age 42 should make you go back and try more conservative treatment since we do not know how much of a factor this was. Your most important commodity is time and I would rather see someone age 42 do IVF sooner rather than in 6 months or a year that you would have to try to see if removing the polyp alone would work.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
Faith4Baby

Post by Faith4Baby »

Thank you for shedding light on that....yes time is a huge commodity at this stage in the game!

Thanks for your time!
F4B
Faith4Baby

Post by Faith4Baby »

And Doctor...
What is the normal heal time after this procedure, (polypectomy), before I can resume IVF?