Doing IVF and PGD while on Anti-Rejection Drugs

Brittanyam

Doing IVF and PGD while on Anti-Rejection Drugs

Post by Brittanyam »

Dear
Hello I have a few questions about IVF and PGD.
I am trying to find the best doc in LA that will deal with my complex situation. I am a transplant recipient and I have been on anti-rejection drugs (Mycophenolate and tacrolimus) for about 9 years now. I had my transplant when I was 24 and now I am 31 and have no idea if I can have babies because I have been on Birth Control since I have been 19 and have never tried. Now I am at a point in my life that I want to try. To make the situation more complex I was born with Aniridia, which I think they can test with PGD from what I researched.

I was wondering has your clinic dealt with Patients that are on anti-rejection drugs from a transplant? Does IVF interact with anti–rejection drugs? I know that if I did get pregnant naturally, my doctors would have to change my medicine to Azathioprin because Mycophenolate is very harmful during pregnancy.

If your clinic has dealt with transplant recipients who need IVF, can you tell me how many and which doctor would be the best fit my situation?

Thank you very much,
BAM
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Doing IVF and PGD while on Anti-Rejection Drugs

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

We have treated a number of transplant recipients although I do not know the number and each case has to be managed as an individual based on their unique situation.

For you the first step is talking to your medical doctors to find out if pregnancy is safe for you to do and how they would manage your rejection meds, specifically the Mycophenolate since that one should not be used in pregnancy. An alternative option for some has been to use a surrogate to carry the pregnancy.

Secondly, we would have to have our genetics lab create a probe for your gene that causes the Aniridia.

Then we would have you stop your birth control pills, modify your rejection meds at least temporarily for the cycle, check your fertility potential and then start the cycle. We can make the cycle to obtain and fertilize the eggs very quick as we do with women preserving their fertility because of medical issues.

I have asked my partners if they have any other perspectives from their experience and will post them here if there are any.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
Brittanyam

Post by Brittanyam »

Dear Dr. Wisot,
Thank you for responding so quickly. After reading a lot of the posts on here, it makes me feel a lot calmer and with a clearer mind about choosing a clinic here in LA. If I came into RP, which doc would you think would fit my situation best-- IVF+PGD+anti+anti rejection drugs+transfer frozen/fresh embryos?

I am waiting for two recorders on Gene Testing I had back in 2004 through the NIH and another agency in 2007. Now, I don’t know if these will provide enough info on my eye condition, but it will be a good starting point.

Another factor that I am trying to decide on is another eye surgery which I am showing signs of rejecting of my stem cells. I am about 1-2 months out for a new partial transplant. I am going to see if we decide eye surgery to switch up my meds from Mycophenoate to Azathioprin before and after surgery. You mentioned “Then we would have you stop your birth control pills, modify your rejection meds at least temporarily for the cycle, check your fertility potential and then start the cycle. We can make the cycle to obtain and fertilize the eggs very quick as we do with women preserving their fertility because of medical issues.”
--How long does this process take? And, could we fertilize these eggs + PGD and then freeze the embryos? I really want to do it fresh if possible? I really want to be able to carry and not use a surrogate if we can make sure that the meds will not affect the fetus. And, I know i may have to wait until I am done with my eye surgery to start treatment too. I will know more after Apr 26th.

Thank you so much for all your information. It makes me feel good to know that you and the other docs really care for your pts and treat them with compassion and empathy!

Thank You,
Brittany
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

You can see any of the doctors here. We work as a team and are all qualified to take care of your situation. I suggest you choose the office nearest you.

When we do PGD we recommend freezing the embryos because we don't want to hurry the genetics lab and give them time to really study the embryos. Also since we do the biopsy on Day 5, Day 6 is not optimal for the most advanced embryos.

I would suggest you come in now to get the process started as the creation of the probe can take some time. You previous genetic information would be helpful.

We can do the stimulation-retrieval-fertilization-PGD fairly quickly, in a couple of weeks if there really is a hurry.

But first, get your eye issues resolved, start the creation of the probe, get stabilized on pregnancy-friendly rejection meds (if that's possible) and let us evaluate your fertility potential.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California