IVF and alcohol

Julie

IVF and alcohol

Post by Julie »

Should I wait to start IVF until my husband has quit or significantly cut back on alcohol consumption? I have been concerned about his alcohol consumption from the start, but our RE doesn't seem to be. His sperm has had good morphology and motility during our IUI cycles. However, there were four times in the last week that he had at least 6 drinks a day, which I know is more than recommended. Would it benefit us to wait three months to start IVF assuming he can cut out alcohol?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: IVF and alcohol

Post by Dr. Wisot »

There is more to sperm than numbers. It takes three months for a man to regenerate almost all his sperm to get rid of whatever effects that excessive alcohol may cause.

I don't think anyone can give you a definitive and absolute answer to this question. I think that if has not already reduced his drinking in anticipation of your conceiving, knowing it could be detrimental, I would have little hope he will hold out for three months waiting for you to start IVF.

Your doctor knows your situation best so I would tend to rely on his/her best opinion.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California