Help..supplements

Faith4Baby

Help..supplements

Post by Faith4Baby »

Dr Wisot!
Hoping u can help clarify something for me.
Trying to find a better Prenatal vitamin that contains adequate amounts of folic acid.
My research says 400-600mcg per serving is what is recommended.

My question is the difference between folate and folic acid. I have read the following:

"Folate is a general term for a group of water soluble b-vitamins, and is also known as B9. Folic acid refers to the oxidized synthetic compound used in dietary supplements and food fortification, whereas folate refers to the various tetrahydrofolate derivatives naturally found in food."

Which is great...but...

I am seeing both on lables when looking for a new prenatal.
Which one do I want? Which is best for supporting a pregnancy.

I have been eyeing "New Chapter."

Thank you!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Help..supplements

Post by Dr. Wisot »

The definition of the difference between folic and acid and folate that you cite is the standard one.

Folic acid supplementation is appropriate for the vast majority of women.

A group of women who have elevated homocysteine levels in their blood will benefit more from folate. Higher doses of both folate and folic acid often given as Folgard since their bodies do not metabolize folic acid to the useable metabolites well.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
Delilah

Re: Help..supplements

Post by Delilah »

If it helps I was told to take Kirkman labs folinic acid, which was told superior to folic acid or end product. All has b12 and tmg Both methylators. I like it be its a tiny pill! Was told most women in America not deficient in folic acid but many have mthfr anomalies requiring extra folic acud