Long Estrogen Priming Protocol...?

kermit3

Long Estrogen Priming Protocol...?

Post by kermit3 »

I don't know if you need the background, but all my tests and levels came back normal except for a very low AMH. I was a poor responder in my first IVF cycle (a microdose Lupron protocol with a cycle of birth control suppression before hand). The egg quality looked fine but we had fertilization problems. So we are trying again.

I asked my doctor if we could try a less suppressive protocol like estrogen priming before moving on to donor eggs. He scheduled a protocol as follows: one full cycle of Estrace in preparation for stimulation (cd 2-cd28) with Provera to bring on menstruation then a stimulation cycle with Ganirelix. Aren't estrogen priming protocols usually luteal phase protocols? Is there some benefit to suppressing ovulation in the cycle before stimulation by taking estrogen from the very beginning of the cycle? Does Provera suppress the ovaries in any way? Is this a common protocol? Will this protocol really be less suppressive than birth control and microdose lupron cycle?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Long Estrogen Priming Protocol...?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

I really can't give specific advice or discuss protocols here.

The answer to the question of whether estrogen priming protocols are usually luteal phase protocols is yes. Giving you estrogen and progesterone tp suppress ovulation in the preceding cycle is pretty much like giving you birth control pills. Provera itself should not suppress the ovaries.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California