IVF with a cyst

Jennifer77

IVF with a cyst

Post by Jennifer77 »

Hi Doctor -

We planned on doing our first IVF cycle this month with PGS and then a FET next month if all goes well. At my day 3 baseline ultrasound, we found an ovarian cyst (42mm)! My FSH was 5.5 and E2 was 35. My doctor was surprised but didn't seem concerned. He recommended that we proceed with the stimulation cycle.

I am confused because everything I am reading online indicates it is best to wait for the cyst to resolve or have the cyst aspirated. It seems strange to me that he wants to proceed with a 40 mm cyst.

Will the cyst "eat up" stimulation drugs thus taking it away from the follicles? Won't the stimulation drugs make the cyst bigger?

What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: IVF with a cyst

Post by Dr. Wisot »

You need to rely on your doctor's opinion not mine.

We do sometimes start IVF cycles with a cyst present especially when the E2 is low like yours. It means that the cyst is not producing hormones and probably will not be stimulated by the drugs. It's possible that the birth control pills may even make the cyst smaller or disappear.

After you have completed the birth control pills is the time to ask your doctor if the cyst might interfere with the stimulation.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California