HCG Levels

kcfung

HCG Levels

Post by kcfung »

Hi -
I had a positive pregnancy blood test on Friday, September 13th of 102. I came back to office on Sunday, September 15th for re-test, of 157. I was told the levels should have doubled and been at 204: however, they said my levels could be rising slowly, and not to worry, and re-test on Tue, September 17th. In your opinion, is this a sign of chemical pregnancy? I was reading that levels should be doubling every two days, of 66% rate.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: HCG Levels

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

In a viable pregnancy it should rise a minimum of about 66% in two days. (A recent study shows it could be a little less than that.) I would not draw any final conclusions with just two tests but do another in two days and see if it catches up.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
kcfung

Post by kcfung »

Update: Went in today for an ultra sound and saw nothing. I was told it's a chemical pregnancy, but they wanted to test my levels to make sure they are not rising, (ectopic pregnancy.) I was also told that my lining was thin today, from Wed of last week (thick), I saw a empty sac. Today they phoned me, with my levels at 1055. I was told to come back this afternoon for blood work, and tomorrow be given (Methotrexate.) I wanted to know, is it all possible to be pregnant, and have the embryo not show up yet on the ultra sound. Should I wait for another week?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

It's unlikely to be a normal pregnancy, but not knowing the exact date of conception or the quality of their ultrasound I can not get a feel for whether there is any benefit in waiting. There could be a downside because as the hCG level increases the chance of Methotrexate working is reduced.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California