Miscarriage #3

holland75

Miscarriage #3

Post by holland75 »

Hi Dr. Wisot,
We completed 3 fresh IVF cycles in 2012/13 after the birth of our son in 2011 (he was an IVF baby :) (Our only diagnosed issue was male factor which was treated with ICSI in that cycle and in subsequent cycles.) In our attempt to expand our family after our son turned one year, 2 of the fresh cycles failed, one frozen cycle resulted in a pregnancy but no heartbeat was detected at 6 weeks, our third fresh cycle also resulted in pregnancy but again, a miscarriage was diagnosed at 7 weeks after a heartbeat was seen. We then moved on to a frozen cycle with our one remaining embryo and a donor embryo which was a negative result. We just recently enrolled in a donor egg program as the early losses in our past cycles were attributed to chromosomal abnormalities due to my age at the time of the cycles (38) even though my FSH was always deemed normal always coming back at below 10. We completed our first (frozen) donor egg cycle which resulted in pregnancy but had another loss at approximately 9 weeks shortly after being released to my OB. Testing was performed on the tissue and the result was that the tissue was chromosonally normal. I am scheduled for a sonohystogram for next week as I still may be retaining tissue from the last pregnancy which was terminated with misoprostol pills about 2 weeks ago. Incidentally, I was also diagnosed with bacteria in my urine yesterday which has been sent in for culture to determine the exact nature. My question is this: if the tissue from the last pregnancy (donor egg) was found to be normal, what could be causing these losses? As of now, nothing is being recommended for additional testing but is there any that can be done? (I already had a uterine biopsy in early 2013 which was recommended mostly to help with implantation from what I recall, that biopsy was normal by the way) I am finding it difficult to approach our 5 remaining cycles with the (frozen) donor egg program knowing that I could possibly be facing another miscarriage.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Miscarriage #3

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Most of the causes other than chromosomes are not an issue with an IVF cycle. But there are a few issues that can be checked out like the endometrial cavity to be sure you do not have an polyps or fibroids in or close to the cavity, a ureaplasma culture (not usually recommended but I have seen cases where treating it helped) and testing for abnormal antibodies like antiphospholipids and anticardiolipins.

You have to realize that these account for a very small, proportion of miscarriages and sometime when a miscarriage occurs with normal chromosomes (if it's 46 XX you need to be sure it was not the mother's cells contaminating the culture) we sometimes just don't know why it happened. :?

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
holland75

Post by holland75 »

Would the culture of my urine specimen that I'm having done detect ureaplasma?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

No. They would have to do a cervical sample.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California