Frequency of Ultrasound in First Trimester

holland75

Frequency of Ultrasound in First Trimester

Post by holland75 »

Hi Dr. Wisot,
I just "graduated" from your care and went for my OB appointment today at 10 weeks, 6 days. I had an ultrasound with you on Saturday and then had one again this afternoon (Monday). I was at first reassured to be having one one so soon after the one at RPMG but now I'm wondering if it is safe to have had one so soon after the one on Saturday? Do scans need to be spaced apart at all? At first, my OB said I didn't really need to have one because I had just had one with you and I kind of requested to have one anyway because my husband had come for it (plus I have come to rely on the reassurance it gives me) but now I'm kind of second-guessing myself and thinking I've possibly had too many with all the early ones leading up to this most recent one. Thank you once again for this forum!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Frequency of Ultrasound in First Trimester

Post by Dr. Wisot »

There is no evidence of any harmful effects from diagnostic ultrasounds in early pregnancy.

All of our patients have weekly, or even more frequent ultrasounds when there is a problem, and after almost 30 years of doing this you would think we would have seen any problem by now.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California