Failed 2nd FET

ptle26
User

Failed 2nd FET

Post by ptle26 »

Dear doctors,

We recently failed our 2nd FET of a normal PGD tested 5BB embryo. I was stunned when informed of the bad news. How could this be? What might have caused this cycle to fail? I have so many questions running in my head.

1. Was the quality of this embryo not good enough?
2. If this one failed what are the chances of the other three normal embryos (6BB, 5BB, and 4BC) that we have left will implant?
3. Is it because of the scarring tissue from my C-section a year ago?
4. Is it because my Prolactin level might still be high since I stopped breastfeeding just 3 months prior?
5. Was carrying my 23lbs son occasionally after the 72-hr of strict bed rest have anything to do with it?
6. I have 4 other abnormal embryos left in the frozen bank (monosomy #19, trisomy #19, complex abnormal, monosomy #2). Can these be used as a last resort? What problems would arise if they're transferred? My guesses are failure to implant and birth defects but just wanted to confirm.
7. Just out of curiosity do all doctors at RPMG follow the same protocol or does each have his or her own? I'm asking because the nurse asked me which doctor I'd like to schedule for our next consultation.

Thank you for your help.
PL
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Failed 2nd FET

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I'm sorry to hear that this did not work out for you.

Your questions are excellent but more appropriate for your return consultation so they can be answered in the context of your return consultation where we will have complete information to give a meaningful answer.

The general questions: Each of the doctors may have a slightly different protocol but mostly it is the same. Abnormal embryos, especially trisomies, should not be transferred because the offspring, if they work, will be severely abnormal.

Bring the other questions to the consultation.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California