Pgd and other

Delilah

Pgd and other

Post by Delilah »

Hi I'm 39, well really 40 next month. I tried to get pregnant for 6 months no success. I had one miscarriage at age 37, getting pregnant on the pill but was told was unlikely to be the pill. I definitely do not want twins and would never do a reduction so I asked to implant only one embryo. I actually would love two kids if possible but I don't want to carry two or have two young infants at the same time. I was on 225 gonal f and one dose menopure then ganirelix as well. I had 15 eggs, 9 were mature. They told me 7 fertilised and its a great number. How many typically fertilize. Was told you cannot fertilize immature egg I did Icsi because we were told if we wanted to do pgd need Icsi. Is that true? I am going to try to see if I get pregnant now without pgd. Pgd is costly and is scary to me. Do you think pgd is safe? Also was told pgd doesn't catch many genetic anomalies. We are waiting to see if embryos are good quality. Is 7 a high enough number. Was told at my age that 80% of my eggs likely to be bad. Is it possible for an older woman to have more good ones than that? I don't believe women get pregnant naturally like at 46 but I'm one of 3 and my mother was shocked when she got pregnant at 42, gave Birth to healthy baby at 43. My brother was huge even though 6 weeks premature so he was able to go home. I or my spouse have no known fertility issues. There may be something there but we didn't find anything after many tests. I think wanting this so badly and having such high stress didn't help us. Anyway I hope I will get good news on embryo quality. I was told I could do pgd later if there are any embryos frozen. Do you think pgd will get better? How many embryos survive freezing? I was going to freeze eggs for moral considerations but was told that egg freezing is not that great and at my age would likely be a total waste. I feel a little selfish so I didn't go that route. Do embryos deteriorate the longer they're frozen? Just trying to understand my timetable if I have embryos to freeze. Also I had a bad reaction to the stims. Not ohss but very bloated w cramps. And I HATE needles. How come they don't just implant embryos if everything seems normal with hormones and endometrium? Why more shots? Thanks so much
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Pgd and other

Post by Dr. Wisot »

There are too many issues and questions here to answer all but I will answer a few. The remainder you should be asking your doctor.

Typically 75% of the mature eggs they fertilize with ICSI fertilize normally. Immature eggs will usually not fertilize. You do need to do ICSI if you plan to do PGS. We believe that PGS is a safe procedure in our hands.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California