Progesterone Level at 7w2d

jnjferrier

Progesterone Level at 7w2d

Post by jnjferrier »

Hi Dr. Wisot,

I'm a patient at your Westminster office (although you actually did our FET at your Redondo Office back on 09/09/11). We're currently 7w2d pregnant with identical twins. They're sharing both a placenta & gestational sac. We do have 2 yolk sacs so we're hopeful they'll have a membrane separating them, but as you know, it's too early to see.

We've been having weekly u/s and b/w which have all been good/consistent. Last Friday, my progesterone was 33.4 so Dr. Rosen reduced our PIO from 1 1/2 cc's to 1 cc each day. Today, my progesterone level came back at 14.7. The nurse said Dr. R said to stay on the same dose of PIO (1cc), but I was concerned about the drop (I've had 2 previous successful FET's with your office & have never had a progesterone level below 23) and also how low the level is. Also, now that the 1 placenta is trying to support 2 babies, I have concerns about the level being so low. I've always been told by RPMG that the sort of golden rule for progesterone is to not go below 20, but now that it's below 20 I'm being told there's no cause for concern. I asked to speak with Dr. R today to discuss, but didn't receive a call back so I thought I'd try the message board.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Jessica
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Progesterone Level at 7w2d

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

I'm glad my transfer worked for you but since I do not know all the details of your case from here I would suggest you call the office in the morning and speak to either Dr. Cassidenti or Rosen as they will have your records available. The rule you quoted is for a earlier pregnancy but by the time you are at over 7 weeks the progesterone can be surprisingly low and everything can be OK.

But double-check in the AM.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
jnjferrier

Re: Progesterone Level at 7w2d

Post by jnjferrier »

Hi Dr. Wisot,

Thank you so much for your response. Dr. Rosen did call me tonight and we were able to discuss further. For peace of mind (for me), he increased the PIO back to 1 1/2 cc for now and will adjust in the next week or two again.

Thanks again. I appreciate it!
Jessica