7 week ultrasound questions

mcpb
User

7 week ultrasound questions

Post by mcpb »

I recently went through a successful frozen embryo transfer. At our first ultrasound, heartbeat was detected, fetus was measuring correctly but sac was a few days behind. My dr also discovered a subchorionic hemorrhage. A few days later, I began to have intense cramping and bleeding. I went in for an ultrasound at 7 weeks one day and a heartbeat was still present but my dr described it as slow at 100 bpm. Also, the sac had grown significantly but the fetus was measuring 7.5mm which the dr said was also small. Subchorionic was still present but had not grown. Dr thinks that with all these "red flags" the pregnancy is not likely viable. I have another ultrasound scheduled for 8 weeks. After speaking with the dr, my nurse was much more hopeful, saying that everything had grown in a week except for the subchorionic and that a heart rate of 100 was borderline but not extremely slow. I want to prepare myself for bad news at our 8 week appointment but feel as though there is still hope after speaking with my nurse. I guess I am looking for a second opinion from a dr. Does 7.5 mm seem too small for a fetus at 7 weeks, 1 day? Is 100 bpm a slow heart rate for a fetus of this sign? Is the bleeding and cramping episode (there have been 2), likely a result of the subchorionic or an impeding miscarriage? I realize there is truly nothing I can do except wait and see but any information you can give me is appreciated. I have had 1 successful pregnancy (fresh IVF) with no complications and no miscarriages. I am 35 years old although the embryo we are currently pregnant with is the result of our IVF from when I was 33.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: 7 week ultrasound questions

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I wish there was something definitive I could tell you but you are correct, all you can do is wait it out. There are mixed signals here and I can't tell which ones predominate. I would be concerned that you doctor does not think it will work out well.

But as long as there is a heartbeat, there is hope and I hope it works out well for you. Please let us all know.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California