natural or medicated FET?

readybaby

natural or medicated FET?

Post by readybaby »

Hello,

I currently have 4 good quality frozen blastocysts.

The current clinic I am at recommended that I do a FET vs a fresh as it will allow my body to adjust back to normal (away from all the stim meds).

I am now being told that for my FET, they want to put me on lupron (starting with Depot Lupron).

I have read some really bad side effects that can last the rest of your life.

My Dr. is assuming I might have a low stage of endo (however I have no signs or symptoms of it besides infertility - I am 37 yrs old. Endo biospy was done, all normal).

I would much rather do a natural FET as I do not think the rewards outweigh the risks by taking Lupron.

What are your thoughts on my Lupron protocol?

I feel that my Dr. will not do a natural FET...can I simply ship my frozen blasts to your clinic and do the natural FET there? I live in Los Angeles.

Thank you so much
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: natural or medicated FET?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I cannot comment on specific protocols but in general patients with endometriosis do better in frozen transfer (FET) cycles.

I believe that the negative effects of the endometriosis can be handled by a cycle of birth control pills prior to the FET cycle.

When we do a medicated FET cycle we use estrogen to prime the endometrium and suppress your own ovulation. That would be an advantage over your producing your egg in that cycle so a medicated cycle would be my preference on someone with endometriosis. But I do not think in general Lupron in the cycle is necessary although its short use is not likely to result in long term consequences.

It is possible to transfer embryos between groups.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
readybaby

Post by readybaby »

Thank you so much for the fast and helpful response Dr. Wisot.

Are there any risks involved in shipping the frozen embryos? They used the vitrification method and are located in Los Angeles.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

There is minimal risk in shipping embryos unless some accident happens.

We, like almost every IVF center, uses vitrification.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
readybaby

Post by readybaby »

Sorry for all the questions.

I'm not sure if you can even answer this...but from your experience and protocols is it common for patients to discuss alternative treatments with their Doctor. Basically going against the doctors first recommendation? I can see how it can be frustrating from your standpoint as you are the doctor/professional, while us patients are "Dr. Google".

I have a feeling my Doctor will strongly recommend the Lupron and if we do not do it they may simply deny the natural FET. Is this common in most clinics?

If that is the situation we would come to your clinic.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

At Reproductive Partners we consider our patients as "partners" in making decisions. We will listen, discuss and then go with the patient's choice as long as it is not unethical or dangerous.

So if one wants a "natural" FET after understanding the downsides, we will usually comply. Not knowing the details of your situation I cannot promise anything.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.