1st IVF came back with all abnormal embryos

mmolland

1st IVF came back with all abnormal embryos

Post by mmolland »

Hi,
I am 40 and just had my first failed IVF. I got pregnant naturally last year but my baby had a rare disorder (not genetic) and I aborted at 24 weeks. I have never been pregnant (or tried) before.

My FSH is 7, and my AMH is 1.7. 17 AFC.

The first round was cancelled on day 5 of stims as I had a bad response (i think due to birth control). On the second round, I was put on androderm patches for 7 weeks and estrogen patches for 3 weeks and no birth control this time. I had around 17 follicles, retrieved 10 eggs, 7 mature, 7 fertilized, 4 made it to day 5/6 blastocysts. We did PSG and all just came back abnormal.

I am really worried that I may have to move to an egg donor which is something that I will do if I have to but my husband and I decided to do IVF as I couldn't take a genetic problem and we wanted to maximize success. He also has low volume which would have made it hard to get pregnant naturally. My pregnancy last year was with an ex.

Can you tell me what questions I should be asking my doctor? and if you have seen this before? If so, what are my options?

thank you in advance!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: 1st IVF came back with all abnormal embryos

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I have seen this before. I just had a 36 year old who had only one normal of 7 embryos tested. She did another cycle and got 3 out of 4 normal.

There is nothing you can do to change it but hopefully the odds for a couple of normals will fall in your favor in another cycle with a normal FSH.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California