Genetics

dhurata77

Genetics

Post by dhurata77 »

Hello Doctor,

I know that with every medical procedure there come some risks, I also understand that this is a business as well as a beautiful science. With that said I have read a study from the lab of dr Robert Winston London dr; the study was about the safety of frozen embryos. In the study it said that its preferred to freeze embryos on day 3 rather than day 2 because the gene tcs2 is defected?? I don't know what the statistics are for embryos that were vitrified on day 6. As this is when my embryo now 19 month old baby was vitrified. If that gene has a defect that means that there is no tumor suppressor In the body causing tuberous sclerosis disorder. Again I don't know how accurate or what the statistics are of this happening, but it was enough to alarm me. Can you please help shed some light on this info or if you know anything about frozen embryos on day 6 having a diagnosis of tuberous sclerosis. I thank you in advance. Dee
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Genetics

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I have never heard of a problem with this.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
dhurata77

Post by dhurata77 »

hello doctor

maybe I didn't word it well; as I was anxious and sped. the study said that the dna of frozen embryos was damaged due to freezing and thawing. And that the gene tcs2 may have mutations that would lead to tuberous sclerosis. supposedly that gene gets a defect during the freezing and thawing or perhaps certain freezing protocols.
Is this why vitrification is used today to decrease the chance of DNA damage??

thanks again dr
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I think the main reason that vitrification is used is better recovery of the embryos.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California