100% Aneuploidy after PGS

jenmort

100% Aneuploidy after PGS

Post by jenmort »

Hello,

I am 40 years old, and just completed my first IVF cycle. Going in, my AFC was 12, AMH was 2.0 and FSH was 10.3. Prior to my cycle I was on bcp's (Mononessa) for about 3 weeks. At my initial suppression check, they found a few small polyps and a cyst on my right ovary, so I stayed on bcp's for an additional week and had the polyps removed. At stim start, I was given a daily protocol of Gonal F at 375iu and Menopur at 75iu. I stimmed for 11 days, with Cetrotide introduced the last 5 days. At my Day 12 ultrasound, they measured 5 follicles on each of my ovaries, with an additional 6 (combined) that were "unmeasured" (too small) -- so, 16 follicles total. I triggered that night (Lupron) and got 9 eggs at ER. All 9 were ICSI'd, but only 5 fertilized. All 5 made it to Day 3 (4 graded "good" and 1 graded "fair"). At Day 5, 2 made it to blastocyst and were biopsied and frozen, 1 was at morula stage, and 1 wasn't looking so good. They waited one more day for the morula, but it and the other egg arrested on Day 6 and were discarded. PGS results came back on the two frozen ones, with one having monosomy 15 + trisomy 22 and the other having monosomy 2. Needless to say, were were devasted. :( My question is this -- has anyone over 40 had success after a cycle that yielded 100% chromosomally abnormal embryos? My RE is recommending that we try again, but I'm trying to remain realistic about our chances. Just seems to me that if my "best" embryos ended up being abnormal, then my remaining egg supply might be shot. Thoughts, success stories? Thanks so much!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: 100% Aneuploidy after PGS

Post by Dr. Wisot »

With only two embryos tested the possibilities would be 0%, 50% or 100% normal. You ended up on the wrong side of the numbers but at age 40 that would not be so unusual and certainly not forecast that all future embryos would be abnormal.

As a illustration I just had a 36 year old with one normal of three in a first cycle and then three normal of four in the next cycle.

With your FSH I would certainly consider trying another cycle before giving up hope for a successful pregnancy with your own eggs. So I agree with your RE.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
jenmort

Post by jenmort »

Thank you so much for your reply, Dr. Wisot. It's both comforting and reassuring that you and my RE are both recommending another try. Given that my FSH was measured at the end of April, is it worth testing again? Or will any change be negligible, at this point? Thanks again for the second opinion!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I would retest it just to make sure there is not a significant change. I wish you well in your next attempt.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
jenmort

Post by jenmort »

Thanks again, Dr. Wisot!