Mini IVF After 100% Complex Aneuploid

Sam1216

Mini IVF After 100% Complex Aneuploid

Post by Sam1216 »

Hello Doctor,

I am 42 and just had my first failed IVF. My husband and I were doing IVF due to extremely low sperm count. His count is around 600,000 up from 0. My tests all came out average, FSH 9, AMH 1.16, and AFC 12. We were hoping despite my age that the MFI was our biggest issue, and that with ICSI we would be able to overcome that. At time of retrieval I had 14 follicles ranging from 11-26 with most being in the 15 and over range. 12 eggs were retrieved, 7 mature, and 6 fertilized. 4 embryos made it day 3 and only two made it to day 6. My two blasts were biopsied and sent for PGS testing. I just received the results back and they are rather strange to me. Embie 1 - M9, M11, M13, and T17. Embie 2: M14, M18, and T21. The first embryo is really strange because all defects are really rare.Also, the defects are all different there are no repeats. Wouldn't these be mosaic embryos? Any chance of self-correction?

My question is after such a devastating blow, would Mini IVF be a good option? I am wondering if it would be better to try and grow 2-5 good quality eggs instead of trying for as many as possible. Thanks for your help! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Mini IVF After 100% Complex Aneuploid

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Having two embryos with complex abnormalities is not unusual at, I apologize, age 42.

The good news is that with a good FSH level there is a good chance that there are some normal eggs in there. The stimulation has no effect on the chromosomes so I do not think mini-IVF would necessarily be better. Getting more of your eggs to maturity in any protocol would be helpful.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California