Cancelled cycle

GoFollies
User

Cancelled cycle

Post by GoFollies »

Dear Dr Wisot

I just cancelled my cycle after no response at all after 10 days of Stims.

Leading into the cycle I did 21 days Provera and 7 days of 5mg E2 pessaries. You may recall from an earlier post that my estrogen skyrocketed up to 4800 a few days before I started. I originally thought this high estrogen had suppressed me but I now I think the Provera was more to blame. Both in suppression and also the cause of the high estrogen.

I've since read that Progestins (Provera) don't act the same as natural progesterone to manage estrogen and perhaps even suppress natural progesterone which would have lead to the estrogen dominance and 4800.

But now that I think the 21 days of Provera was the prime suspect for my over suppression. I wanted to ask you if using 10 days Provera again (without the estrogen) to 'reset' my cycle will retain this oversuppression or not?

Will my ovaries still be suppressed from the previous cycle or is it like starting new?

My best cycle so far has been with a lead in of 1000mg (natural) Progesterone and 4mg Estrogen in a pessarie. Would this be less suppressive than the Provera?

Best regards
GoFollies
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Cancelled cycle

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I don't know what the progesterone could have done to suppress your response.; usually it doesn't.

Maybe it's time to change strategy. In situations like yours we have done very well with minimal stimulation; Clomid only. Retrieve, fertilize, freeze until we have enough embryos making a transfer worthwhile. Some have PGS until they create a normal embryo, then transfer in a frozen cycle.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
GoFollies
User

Post by GoFollies »

Dear Dr Wisot

Thank you for your response.

You suggest the Provera doesn't suppress so perhaps it was the high estrogen. Whatever the cause I was very suppressed and had no follicles respond.

When someone has no response, do the typically bounce back ok the next cycle (immediately after the suppressed cycle) or does the suppression carry over and suppress the subsequent cycle?

Thank you
Gofollies
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

The purpose of the pre-cycle estrogen is to sensitize the receptors in the follicles to the FSH and LH in the medication so it should not really suppress or keep you suppressed if prescribed properly.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
GoFollies
User

Post by GoFollies »

Dear Dr Wisot

Does Provera and high Estrogen before a cycle (luteal) impact egg quality?

I cancelled a cycle for no response, and now on day two I have a 1.6cm follicle, which must have somehow grown whilst I was on the Provera and (and my e2 went up to 5000 that week).

Would the egg in this follicle be damaged by the Provera and estrogen?

I have read somewhere that you cannot be on synthetic progesterone when you are pregnant because it could cause birth defects. I'm not sure if this is relevant for an egg in a follicle?

Regards
GoFollies