Understanding Implantation Failure

starlight

Understanding Implantation Failure

Post by starlight »

I've just finished an FET cycle with 3 day old embryos and received the news that we were not successful. The first fresh IVF cycle also was done with 3 day old embryos which were not successful. Both times the embryologist said that the embryos were in excellent condition with no fragmentation (6-8 cells). The IVF procedures were performed in conjunction with ICSI and assisted hatching. Also, when thawed out, the three embryos were 100% intact (i.e. didn't lose any cells). We'd like to understand what other factors cause implantation failure? Are there other tests which could be performed to check to see that the uterus is functioning properly? The lining was measuring about 11 mm both times prior to implantation. Is there anything that can be done differently if we were to perform another fresh IVF cycle?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Understanding Implantation Failure

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

Even with full information about a cycle it's often impossible to say why it didn't work. Most of the time it's the woman's age or poor embryo quality that can lead to a failed cycle. When the age is young and the embryos are good quality implantation issues can be caused by abnormalities in the uterine cavity like polyps or submucous fibroids or inadequate luteal hormonal support.

Since there were embryos to freeze I wonder why they did not allow the embryos go to blastocyst which is the real test of their quality. Many times embryos which look good on Day 3 do not progress to blastocyst.

The person with the most knowledge about the details of your cycle (your doctor) is the best one to try to determine why it did not work and sometimes there is no answer or the answer is that there is a percentage chance that an embryo has of implanting; sometimes they do and sometimes they don't and that's not a satisfying answer but it's the truth.

It's not so much why it didn't work but what can be done to improve your chances of the next one working.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California