Damaged embryo

ivfjourney
User

Damaged embryo

Post by ivfjourney »

What happens if a first try of a transfer of two good qualities embryos fails. When looked at under a microscope one embryo is still with the catheter damaged and one is missing. A second transfer was then performed of a fair quality embryo and makes it to the uterus. The list embryo. ..could that have been pushed into the uterus and been damaged now during second transfer try? Could this lead to a baby with abnormalities?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Damaged embryo

Post by Dr. Wisot »

A retained embryo in the transfer catheter is not that unusual.

The one that was not retained was likely transferred. I don't know what you mean by "damaged." But if there was some sort of damage to an embryo it would likely just not implant.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
ivfjourney
User

Post by ivfjourney »

The one never made it to my uterus. That's why it was removed to try again and that's when the saw mucus. T h e tried to locate both embryos .... one was damaged, according to Dr it was just the shell, the second wasn't in the dish or catheter so I'm assuming it's in the spot he got stuck at well before my uterus.

I was afraid that the actual transfer that was a success could have damage the egg lost inside me.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

A second pass of the transfer catheter to transfer an embryo that was not released the first time or as in your case to transfer a second different embryo because the first lysed would not usually affect the chances of the first one that was transferred successfully.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California