Miscarriage??

trenee75
User

Miscarriage??

Post by trenee75 »

So my transfer was February 4th, blood test on February 16th, which was positive, indicating I was pregnant. My numbers were doubling and going up as they should...until the 24th, they went from 1306 to 1335 so they wanted me to come in for a scan today to see how (IF) things were progressing, etc. Well...she didn't see anything on the scan...the results were to mean one of three things: (1) I had a "chemical pregnancy" which meant I got pregnant but it didn't stick and I had a miscarriage, although I still haven't bled or anything yet...apparently I should eventually have some bleeding; (2) I could have an ectopic pregnancy which hasn't shown up yet and they'll have to monitor me closely so the fallopian tubes don't get damaged, etc. They didn't see anything in the tubes or outside the uterus today, but apparently there is a chance it could still happen; or (3) (I guess this option is very SLIM and rare...in fact they threw it out there as an option but didn't really make it sound like it really was an option, if that makes sense)...since its so soon, the sac could still be too small to see, could be positioned differently so it's not able to be seen yet, etc...every patient is different and how their images are transferred through scans. So, I was just wondering if this is pretty normal?? I'm just so blown away that I haven't bled yet if it was a miscarriage and I still show as being pregnant on a test, meaning the hormone levels are still in my body, which makes me nervous because I'm so scared it could be an ectopic...and if it is, why it hasn't shown up yet and the timeframe when it might?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Miscarriage??

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I hate when this happens. Could be either chemical or ectopic. Only time will tell. The plateauing of your levels is not promising. But they could pick up. It's not surprising that nothing was seen on ultrasound because it takes a level above 2000 to see a sac.

You are likely not going to bleed until they stop your estrogen and progesterone.

I hope it works out for you.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
trenee75
User

Post by trenee75 »

Thank you so much for responding! I really appreciate it! I was not aware that you didn't see the sac until levels reached 2000...yesterday when they took my first scan, they did not check my levels to see if they were going down...or up, if that's still a possibility?? Shouldn't they be checking my levels tomorrow too when they do another scan to make sure it's not an ectopic? Also, have you ever seen a situation where the numbers slowed down considerably like that and started to go back up?? Lastly, besides the sac, would there have been something else she would have seen on the scan which would indicate I was still pregnant or the pregnancy was viable even though levels hadnt reached 2000?

Thanks again!!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Usually this is followed using the blood levels of hCG. If it rises they can do an ultrasound to try to identify the sac. If it falls to less than 5 you are our of the woods regarding an ectopic.

I have seen cases where there was a plateau and then it picked up and resulted in a normal pregnancy, probably from a lab error.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
trenee75
User

Post by trenee75 »

Thanks again for getting back to me...so today's scan - they saw a sac measuring at 5 weeks and 1 day and she said by their timeframe I should be at 6 weeks. Also, they did blood work, however, my numbers only went from 1335 to 1491 in 3 days! I'm just so confused by this...is it possible with these numbers to still have a viable ptegnancy?? Why are my numbers going up so slow? Does this mean I am having a miscarriage...why see the sac today and not Thursday??

It's like I got a little hope & then it wasn't because of numbers?!
Thank you again!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

If they saw a sac in the uterus then you should not have to worry about an ectopic.

This is now acting like a pregnancy with significantly delayed development and unfortunately those do not usually end happily. :cry:

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
trenee75
User

Post by trenee75 »

I'm sorry...I am even more confused...I spoke with my doctor who said same thing...didn't look good or looked like it was going to be a miscarriage, etc. However, they did another scan today and apparently the sac showed good growth, however, I just received call about my numbers and they went up to 1905...so obviously they didn't double as they should and as we would have wanted. I'm just confused as to why the sac is growing and why the numbers are going up at all?! If I'm miscarrying, why aren't they slowly going down? Can you give me your opinion? Btw, Doctor suggests I remain on my meds of progesterone injections every morning and patches every other day...my next scan isn't until one week from today and they said they would do another blood test then too, but no need for me to come in before then. Thank you!!!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

The numbers are not going down because the hormones you are taking are still supporting the pregnancy. Once your doctor determines that there is no hope and has you stop your estrogen and progesterone the process of resolving the pregnancy can begin and may take awhile.

I'm sorry this is so difficult for you.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
trenee75
User

Post by trenee75 »

Oh...that actually makes sense...I'm surprised she didnt tell me that too. She gave me a lot of info today, maybe it just "slipped through the cracks", so to speak. I'm assuming that's why the numbers are going up slowly as well?

Thanks again for helping me to understand...I was probably trying to hold on to that last shred of hope...it really is very hard for me. So I do appreciate your time and assistance!