Unicornuate uterus & IVF

Ocprof
User

Unicornuate uterus & IVF

Post by Ocprof »

I recently had a great IVF stimming cycle. I am 38 years old.
20 eggs retrieved/15 mature/10 5 day blasts/ 5 excellent or good quality embryos normal chromosomes.
We just transferred a normal 6aa embryo but the cycle failed. After my egg retrieval my RE seemed so concerned with my unicornuate uterus. He even mentioned a surrogate. He has not really given me a real explanation for his concern. He keeps quoting 50% will get pregnant with a UU, but from the literature I have read it is 50% will deliver a "take home" baby. How would a unicornuate uterus affect implantation? I also found out during embryo transfer that I have a retroverted uterus. Could this affect implantation? My lining was 8.6 and estrogen levels 420 a week before transfer. Also, does your clinic accept outside embryos? I feel like my doctor has lost faith in me and he knew about my UU from the consultation. It seems like he forgot once we got to egg retrieval.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Unicornuate uterus & IVF

Post by Dr. Wisot »

My first recommendation to a woman with a unicornuate uterus is to consider a surrogate because even though the live birth rate may sound OK, many of those will be premature with many of those babies having problems.

The problem with implantation may be because the uterus and its blood supply are abnormal even though the endometrial thickness may be adequate. The retrovered uterus has nothing to do with implantation.

We do accept embryos from other centers.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
Ocprof
User

Re: Unicornuate uterus & IVF

Post by Ocprof »

Is there a test that can be performed to check the blood supply to the uterus? What about an endometrial biopsy?

I know that ideally a surrogate would be best, but it's not really an option for us because of the cost and we don't have many young female family members.
And I'm not quite ready to give up on myself yet.

Based just on the unicornuate uterus would you accept me as a patient. Is there anything that can be done to help with implantation or blood flow? My RE prescribed Delestrogen shots to prepare my lining and he was totally against baby aspirin to help with blood flow to the uterus. I have a really great OB/GYN who first diagnosed my UU and she thinks she can keep me pregnant.
It's the getting pregnant part that is difficult.