IVF or Vasectomy Reversal?

h1eather2
User

IVF or Vasectomy Reversal?

Post by h1eather2 »

Hi, I'm 24 and my husband is 44. He had a vasectomy 23 years ago. I know that the reversals are having better results these days and they are alot less expensive than IVF. But do you think it would be worth our time to go through with the reversal or just skip to IVF? Is there really any hope with the reversal after that long? I have a regular period and no known fertility issues. He is type 1 diabetic also. Has been for 20 years. I don't know how much this affects the situation. He does monitor his blood sugar levels though and takes care of them really well. He has 3 children and was apparently very fertile before his vasectomy. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you!
Dr. Amin
Site Admin

Re: IVF or Vasectomy Reversal?

Post by Dr. Amin »

In general, success rates with vasectomy reversal are higher when the vasectomy was performed less than 10 years ago. Since your husband's vasectomy was 23 years ago, your best treatment option is likely IVF. I would recommend that you meet with a reproductive endocrinologist to discuss your options. Your husband should also see a urologist, who specialize in fertility and testicular sperm aspiration.
Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Orange County, CA