IVF protocols

qwert
User

IVF protocols

Post by qwert »

Hi, please would you be able to explain the difference between long and short protocol, and antagonist vs agonist protocol. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Many thanks!
Dr. Amin
Site Admin

Re: IVF protocols

Post by Dr. Amin »

Hello. There are many different types of IVF protocols that use different medications for different durations of time. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. The type of protocol that is chosen depends on the individual patient. For instance, for women who are expected to produce many eggs, an antagonist protocol with a lupron trigger injection may be chosen to limit the risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. For women who are expected to produce few eggs, an mini-flare agonist protocol may be used. The protocol and the combination of medications that are chosen really depend on the individual patient. If you are planning an IVF cycle, I would recommend that you speak with your reproductive endocrinologist about the choice of protocol.
Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Orange County, CA
qwert
User

Post by qwert »

Many thanks for your response. Please could you also explain the difference between a short and long protocol?
Rita1984
User

Post by Rita1984 »

Hello. Recently I've come across awesome article which explains IVF protocols. I know that I'm not allowed to add links but I hope that this link wouldn't be removed by moderators. Article is very useful. http://fertilitydrugsonline.com/ivf-protocols-explained/