Low fertilisation after icsi

Lisa
User

Low fertilisation after icsi

Post by Lisa »

I just failed ny 1st ivf and would like to know what might have caused it.
Egg retrieval done last friday, 11eggs retrieved(much lower than the anticipated 12 follicles each ovaries). 9 matures and icsi was performed. The next day clinic told me only 2 fertilised. 2 no response. 5 degenerated! Today is day 5, the 2 fertilised ones, 1 has 8 cells but start to show sign of degeneration, the other one fragmented badly. The 2 not fertilised no response start to show sign of fragmentation.
My profile: 36, hubby 38. I have mild pcos fsh 6.8, Lh 11.no thyroid. Amh 35.8. I am only 43kgs. Hubby sperm check is ok except low mophorlogy 3%.
Protocol: top ivf clinic in malaysia. birth control pill for 25 days. Stimm at day 3 after period. 9 days of gonal f 250iu then 3 days 200i.u, 6 days of cetrotide 0.25mg each. Trigger shot at stimms day 13 night. Trigger shot 0.2mg.
On the retrieval day, they managed to 10 eggs only (9 matures) despites the last follicles scan on day10 showing 24 follicles in total. I was having tummy pain few hours before egg retrieval. Doctor found a lot if fluid in my tummy as well.
Embroylogist experience little resistance when piercing the membrance when performing icsi.
My clinic dont do blood test to monitor E2, last scan was 4 days before eggs retrieval.
Dr. Amin
Site Admin

Re: Low fertilisation after icsi

Post by Dr. Amin »

I'm sorry to hear that your IVF cycle wasn't successful. In general, fertilization rates with ICSI are much higher than what you experienced. Poor fertilization can occur for many reasons, including poor egg and/or sperm quality. It seems that you also experienced low egg yield for the number of follicles you had. Since I don't know the complete details of your fertility history and your IVF cycle, I would suggest that you speak with your reproductive endocrinologist to see what you might be able to do to obtain better results in a future cycle.
Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Orange County, CA