Nutrition and stress - timing for egg freezing

larali
User

Nutrition and stress - timing for egg freezing

Post by larali »

I am a 30 year old female and want to go through a cycle of social egg freezing. I am trying to decide what is the better strategy: doing it immediately over the holidays or delaying slightly to prop up my body health over the next 3 months. For context: I am living in France, which does not allow social freezing, but will get the procedure done in Germany (where I am from). I already did a cycle once last year January but only got 9 eggs. Having to go to Germany for the procedure means I have to take 2 weeks off work for this and this is usually tricky to find the timing (i have a very long hour high pressure job). It would hence be better for me personally to « get it done with » over the Christmas and New Years holidays, however, I have put my body under extreme stress in the last months (allnighters, little sleep, eating sugar and smoking under stress, going trough jet lag four times a months at least etc) and I know stress and poor diet can effect egg quality. Would you recommend me to thus delay the procedure and spend at least 3 months to eat healthy, try to sleep more etc, or do you think given my relatively young age it would still be ok to get the retrieval done now? Many thanks for your insights
Dr. Amin
Site Admin

Re: Nutrition and stress - timing for egg freezing

Post by Dr. Amin »

First of all, I’m sorry that you’re going through so much stress in your life right now. This is a difficult question to answer because stress and other lifestyle factors can affect women differently. I think that if you start to improve all of those factors starting now, it would probably be fine to try to do the egg freeze cycle during the Christmas and New Year’s holiday. One thing you could consider is having a baseline antral follicle count done. If the count looks good, then go ahead with the cycle. If the count doesn’t look good, then maybe put it off until you’re in a better state of mind. At 30 years old, there’s not necessarily a large rush to do it. For instance, you could even put it off for 6 months if summer is a better time for you to take a break from work. Luckily, you’re very young, so it most likely would not be detrimental to delay the cycle until an easier time in your life. Good luck with everything.

Dr. Amin

Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Marli Amin, MD
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Orange County, CA
larali
User

Post by larali »

Thank you so very much for your helpful response!
elsa10
User

Post by elsa10 »

I am a 30 year old female and want to go through a cycle of social egg freezing. I am trying to decide what is the better strategy: doing it immediately over the holidays or delaying slightly to prop up my body health over the next 3 months. For context: I am living in France, which does not allow social freezing, but will get the procedure done in Germany (where I am from). I already did a cycle once last year January but only got 9 eggs. Having to go to Germany for the procedure means I have to take 2 weeks off work for this and this is usually tricky to find the timing (i have a very long hour high pressure job). It would hence be better for me personally to « get it done with » over the Christmas and New Years holidays, however, I have put my body under extreme stress in the last months (allnighters, little sleep, eating sugar and smoking under stress, going trough jet lag four times a months at least etc) and I know stress and poor diet can effect egg quality. Would you recommend me to thus delay the procedure and spend at least 3 months to eat healthy, try to sleep more etc, or do you think given my relatively young age it would still be ok to get the retrieval done now? Many thanks for your insights :)
rpmgadm
User

Post by rpmgadm »

We see that you posted the same question back in November. In case you didn’t see our original response, here is what our doctors had to say:

First of all, I’m sorry that you’re going through so much stress in your life right now. This is a difficult question to answer because stress and other lifestyle factors can affect women differently. I think that if you start to improve all of those factors starting now, it would probably be fine to try to do the egg freeze cycle during the Christmas and New Year’s holiday. One thing you could consider is having a baseline antral follicle count done. If the count looks good, then go ahead with the cycle. If the count doesn’t look good, then maybe put it off until you’re in a better state of mind. At 30 years old, there’s not necessarily a large rush to do it. For instance, you could even put it off for 6 months if summer is a better time for you to take a break from work. Luckily, you’re very young, so it most likely would not be detrimental to delay the cycle until an easier time in your life. Good luck with everything.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.