Fertility Options at 51

DGM_WB
User

Fertility Options at 51

Post by DGM_WB »

Hello,

I am a 51-year-old woman that has longed for children since my 20s but never birth any children. I have tried to have children with no success. Last March/April, I stopped having periods and was told by my health practioner that after a year of no periods that I will be considered menopausal. Being that it is only a few months before that time comes, would it be rational to explore different options using ART to get pregnant? What options are available to me where I can use my own eggs?

I am single with no partner and would have to use donor sperm.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Fertility Options at 51

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Unfortunately in your situation there are no current clinical options to use your eggs. With no partner you would have to use both donor sperm and eggs. But if your medical condition is excellent and you find a group that would consider treating you at over age 50, you could carry the pregnancy.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
BellaIQ
User

Re: Fertility Options at 51

Post by BellaIQ »

Try Ukraine! Most countries limit IVF to 45 y.o. but Ukraine might just be less restrictive with geriatric mothers. Best of luck!
PS: Did you ever freeze your eggs? Did you check your eggs reserve via Anti-Mullerian Hormone (blood) test? I have a friend who is 50 and she still has her period. Your body might create another egg, nobody knows. Have a close look on the ultrasound (U/S) starting day 7 of your cycle but if you don't have it, do a periodic (weekly) U/S to see if any follicle develops on the radar. If it does, have sperm from a donor or the cryobank ready for IVF. I wouldn't risk IUI since it has lower chances. It is cheaper cost wise than IVF but if you want a biological child of your own, you can make the money not the time.
DGM_WB wrote:Hello,

I am a 51-year-old woman that has longed for children since my 20s but never birth any children. I have tried to have children with no success. Last March/April, I stopped having periods and was told by my health practioner that after a year of no periods that I will be considered menopausal. Being that it is only a few months before that time comes, would it be rational to explore different options using ART to get pregnant? What options are available to me where I can use my own eggs?

I am single with no partner and would have to use donor sperm.