Eggs Frozen using Slow Freeze Method

Lou89

Post by Lou89 »

I froze my eggs in 2005 at the age of 34 under the slow freeze protocol. I have heard that there have been significant improvements in egg freezing and that fertility centers now use vitrification. I think there were only a few hundred babies born using this protcol in 2005 due to ice crystals forming on the egg. What do you think the chances are for success using these eggs? I have 18 eggs frozen.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Eggs Frozen using Slow Freeze Method

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

It is true that the vitrification method is much better than the slow freeze.

But there is no way to know how your eggs will thaw until you actually thaw them.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
Lou89

Post by Lou89 »

Thank you for your quick reply. Does anyone at Reproductive Partners Medical Group have experience with slow frozen eggs? If not would you advise me to go back to the center where I froze them or do you know anyone with experience in thawing slow frozen eggs?

Thanks
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I will check with our embryologists and get back to you.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

I spoke with out embryologists who told me that since we did not freeze eggs with the old slow freeze method it would probably be best to go back wherever they were frozen.

Another alternative based on your current age would be to try a fresh cycle first since the results with the slow freeze were not great.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I do not know anything about the study you mention.

But in general, if the eggs survive the thaw and fertilize and develop into high quality embryos they have a chance of implanting and do not generally cause harm to the baby. Of course any baby can have issues no matter what the method of conception but so far it does not appear to be higher in babies from frozen eggs.

And now there is a lot of experience with frozen donor egg banks like Donor Egg Bank USA.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
WarnerFef
User

Post by WarnerFef »

My husband and I have gone through 4 years of infertility with no success. We are now considering using donated frozen eggs. Dr. Shapiro in Atlanta has a study using a new way of freezing the eggs.

My question is, is there evidence that freezing an egg causes harm to the baby? Or, is it really a matter of getting them to thaw and survive?

Thanks.
Dr. Rosen
User

Post by Dr. Rosen »

Freezing and thawing eggs are very difficult procedures. This is much more difficult than freezing and thawing embryos. Prior to about 2005, only about 5-10% of frozen eggs would survive the freeze/thaw, be fertilized and then grow. With current technology and in a excellent lab, 80-90% of eggs will survive the freeze/thaw and about 80% of the can be fertilized and 1/2 of those grow well.
There does not seem to be any increased risk for birth affects children born from frozen/thawed eggs. This is very reassuring.

Dr. Rosen
Dr. Gregory Rosen