comparative genomic hybridization

rtl

comparative genomic hybridization

Post by rtl »

Hi Dr. Wisot,

I currently have frozen embryo's in La Jolla, we have a 17 month old son and are now starting to discuss a second child. My question is if CGH can be perfomed on frozen 5 day embryos or do they need to be fresh for this procedure? I also understand that it is best if they were frozen via vitrification, but can it still be done if the embryos were not frozen in this manner? Finally is this procedure offered through RPMG?

Thank you,

RTL
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: comparative genomic hybridization

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Technically, CGH can be done on trophectoderm biopsies on frozen blastocysts. We have done it.

The problem is that by the time you get results the embryos are beyond the normal time for transfer; not 5 day embryos, but now 7 day embryos and there are no studies I am aware of showing consistent success transferring that late. They could be refrozen, but that would probably seriously impair the embryos.

So this is something that has to be worked out better before I would recommend it for frozen embryos. We will be recommending it in appropriate cases in fresh cycles, then freezing the embryos by vitrification and doing frozen transfers.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
rtl

Post by rtl »

Hi Dr. Wisot,

Thanks for your quick response. I forgot to ask on my initial thread if RPMG has an age limit in which they will not perform a FET?

Thanks again,

RTL
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

That's an doctor/patient individual decision for an established patient, but above 45 we usually require a medical evaluation first.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California