When to Transfer Frozen Embryos

Researcher

When to Transfer Frozen Embryos

Post by Researcher »

Hello!

Thanks to Reproductive Partners and their amazing doctors, embryologists and staff, I gave birth to a healthy baby boy in November 2014. This was using IVF, so THANK YOU so much! He is amazing!

I am a planner and I like to plan for the future. I am 39 1/2 (lol) years old, so I feel I am in a race against time, but maybe not - I still would like to do another round of IVF later on as well.

I am in the process of getting a consultation with you guys, so I can come in and talk, as I love Reproductive Partners. However I thought I'd ask here as well - get a jumpstart.

I have 2 frozen embryos. I am still breastfeeding. I was thinking of stopping (maybe) around the 6th month or so.

1.) What is the best time frame (for a successful pregnancy) to implant the frozen embryos? I have 6 brothers and sisters, so I'd like my children to be somewhat close in age. (That was fun growing up, having siblings close in age.)

2.) Are there any supplements I should be taking?

3.) I have not gotten my period yet. Although, I am confused if this even matters when implanting frozen embryos. (I feel like I've read conflicting articles.)

4.) After I am done breastfeeding, is there anything I should do to prepare? Obviously, I would like the best outcome and anything I can do, I will. (Whether we are talking about 3 months down the line or 9 months.)

5.) IVF was successful on my first round thanks to you guys. I inserted 2 embryos the first time. Should I insert 2 again as well, or just 1? (I know you cannot predict the future, but based on my age and the fact that I had success right away…?)

Thanks so much! Love you guys!
Last edited by Researcher on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: When to Transfer Frozen Embryos

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Thanks for the kudos. We deserve them. :lol:

1.) What is the best time frame (for a successful pregnancy) to implant the frozen embryos? I have 6 brothers and sisters, so I'd like my children to be somewhat close in age. (That was fun growing up, having siblings close in age.)

You can schedule the FET cycle when you stop breastfeeding.

2.) Are there any supplements I should be taking?

Prenatal vitamins or folic acid.

3.) I have not gotten my period yet. Although, I am confused if this even matters when implanting frozen embryos. (I feel like I've read conflicting articles.)

Don't need your period. We can manage everything with hormones.

4.) After I am done breastfeeding, is there anything I should do to prepare? Obviously, I would like the best outcome and anything I can do, I will. (Whether we are talking about 3 months down the line or 9 months.)

We will do whatever testing is necessary like a repeat trial transfer and sonohysterogram.

5.) IVF was successful on my first round thanks to you guys. I inserted 2 embryos the first time. Should I insert 2 again as well, or just 1? (I know you cannot predict the future, but based on my age and the fact that I had success right away…?) Also, not sure if this matters, but my pregnancy was flawless, easy and just a piece of cake. I did not have any morning sickness symptoms or anything later on, whatsoever. He even came out in 20 minutes! I was so lucky, didn't feel a thing.

At your consultation your doctor will recommend how may to transfer.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Hello,

Thank you so much for the reply! I really appreciate your time answering my questions.

I should add that I had 3 failed IUI's initially, which was hard. I really debated about IVF due to the cost, but was able to save up and plan - I didn't want any more time to go by. I am very glad I was referred to Reproductive Partners.

For the future, I don't want to rush into anything too soon, so thank you for the information you've provided. I wasn't sure if the first pregnancy would have any (positive) effect with a possible second pregnancy.

Again, much appreciated!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Sometimes the first pregnancy does make it easier to get pregnant after. ;)

I did not mean that you had to do the FET right after breastfeeding just not sooner than that. The embryos can stay frozen for years. You can try for awhile on your own until you feel ready for using the frozen embryos.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California