Thawing and refreezingg to PGS test embryos

mcpb
User

Thawing and refreezingg to PGS test embryos

Post by mcpb »

Is it standard protocol to biopsy blastocysts prior to freezing in an embryo banking situation? We have 2 frozen day 5 blastocysts and are about to begin another egg collection cycle. Is it possible to thaw frozen blastocysts, biopsy, refreeze and the thaw again for transfer of they are determined to be chromosomally normal? Are embryos damaged? What is the best practice for embryo banking with PGS testing? Thanks in advance!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Thawing and refreezingg to PGS test embryos

Post by Dr. Wisot »

With today's technology it is possible to thaw blastocysts, biopsy, then refreeze awaiting the results.

So there are two alternatives if one is banking; one is to biopsy before freezing the second is to collect embryos in several cycles, then biopsy the fresh of the last cycle with the frozens from the previous cycles. Which one does depends on the policy of the IVF center and the genetics lab and is mostly an economic decision.

Talk to your doctor about their policy and what would be best for you. Certainly you can consider thawing and testing the ones already frozen.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
ASF
User

Post by ASF »

Thank you for your post and for the reply. I just made the hard decision not to test my only embryo this morning and to start a new cycle. My major concern is if testing and freezing again is safe, if I fell it's not, I might not test it and implant it as-is. not sure yet, but your post helped me a lot. thank you. - Anna
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Happy to help. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California