PGD abnormal issues

CathyMok

PGD abnormal issues

Post by CathyMok »

Hi, I am 36 and just took one IVF cycle. 5 eggs retrieved with 4 embryos. PGD on day 5 showed gaining one more chromosome in 2, 6, 9 in three of the embryos respectively and one embryo lost one chromosome 1.

The result is quite bothering me. There is no pattern for me to predict whether the next IVF would result in the same way. OR, everything is only by chance. I checked other websites and it seemed that problems in chromosome 2,6,9 are not common in pgd test. I just wonder whether I should drop the pgd test in the next IVF cycle.

By the way, if the result is abnormal in pgd, is it possible to transfer? Is there any successful cases worked against the pgd result? Is it possible for the chromosome to self-correct in the subsequent development?

Thank you very much.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: PGD abnormal issues

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

That is an unusual combination of results.

We would not transfer an embryo with a trisomy in a trophectoderm biopsy in a blastocyst embryo as the chance of it being a mosaic is low.

You should probably speak to a genetic counselor at the lab that did the PGD to find out how many cells they tested in each embryo and what their error rate is.

If the results are on the basis of multiple cells in each embryo in a recognized genetics lab I would probably continue to do PGS hopefully to find the normal one or more that could result in a healthy baby.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
CathyMok

Post by CathyMok »

Thanks Dr. Wisot.

However, is there any hints to the cause(s) of that unusual combination? I am really worry that in the next IVF cycle I will have the same result. My agent just told me that there is little hope to have healthy baby as my AMH is also low (about 0.57).

By the way, I have the summary report in hand. Is the error rate equal to 1-confidence?

Thanks very much for your prompt reply and advice.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

There are really no hints as to why all your embryos would be abnormal, all in different chromsomes unless you have a high FSH as well as a low AMH.

Since you are not satisfied with the answers you are getting I would suggest you sit down with your doctor (if you have not done so already) and ask these good questions to someone who has all the facts. If you are still not satisfied with the answers, then get a second opinion. Genetics is extremely complex and we often do not have all the answers as much as we would like to.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California