Y-chromosome micro-deletion

hope@2014

Y-chromosome micro-deletion

Post by hope@2014 »

Hi Doctors,

My husband has been diagnosed with AZFc Y-chromosome micro-deletion and azoospermia. We are considering trying IVF with TESE/PGD. My questions are:

1. I heard that any baby boy of us would have the same genetic problem. Is it true?

2. Can we use PGD to detect and screen the embryo with problematic genes? Or, we can only screen out the male embryos to prevent passing down problematic genes?

3. If we do TESE, can we do it before IVF and freeze the sperm? Or, we have to use fresh sperm for fertilization? If the former works, will the freezing process deteriorate the sperm quality?

Thanks a lot.
Hope@2014
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Y-chromosome micro-deletion

Post by Dr. Wisot »

These deletions can be tricky as some are complete and some can be partial and the answers may not apply to 100% of the men so the best answer toi these questions would be from your partner's urologist. But in general:

1. Yes

2. PGD can help by sex selection of females as all males carry the Y-chromosome with the deletion.

3. With TESE it is best to do a fresh specimen as they may not freeze well. But again, there can be individual variation.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
hope@2014

Re: Y-chromosome micro-deletion

Post by hope@2014 »

Thanks so much, Dr. Wisot!