8.5 week miscarriage

Bbelle1114
User

8.5 week miscarriage

Post by Bbelle1114 »

Hi,
I had a miscarriage at 8.5 weeks (baby is measuring 8.5 weeks but heartbeat is now gone). My RE said It's my decision to either have a d&c, medicated management, or expected management. He said his preference is the d&c as it will speed up the process. He also said we can test the tissue. Also, he uses suction procedure and doesn't scrape. I am worried about damage to my lining as my linings already trend low. I also have had a c section in the past. In an otherwise noncomplicated miscarraige @ 8.5 weeks, which method do you feel is safest?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: 8.5 week miscarriage

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

I'm sorry to hear that your are going through this. While you are dealing with the devastating loss, you need to deal with the details of getting your body back to normal. Bummer. :(

The three options your doctor presented have roughly the same risks so it is about which is best for you. If you have been trying to conceive for some time or have had a previous miscarriage the information from a D&C with chromosome analysis might be helpful for your future treatment. If your doctor does not excessively scrape the lining and just does suction, then the risk of damage to the uterus is small. If you and your doctor do not believe that the information is important in your situation, then waiting or using misoprostal might be the alternative for you, based on how quickly you want to resolve this.

In any case, this is always difficult to deal with.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California