Chronic Endometritis

Velicity
User

Chronic Endometritis

Post by Velicity »

I have been diagnosed with endometritis. My question is, i don't meet any of the potential causes of endometritis. I have never miscarried, had an std, no IUD insertion or invasive gyno procedure prior to the endometrial biopsy.

What could have possibly caused the endometritis!? it's driving me mad, as I know the above did not happen. Please help...
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Chronic Endometritis

Post by Dr. Wisot »

This is a common question I get after diagnosing chronic endometritis in women with recurrent pregnancy loss or failure of implantation. And if there has been no significant trauma to the endometrium such as in your case, the frustrating answer is usually, "We don't know why this happened."

Chronic endometritis is different than acute endometritis in which you can usually identify a cause. Acute has the usual mill-of-the run inflammatory cells; chronic is marked by an infiltration of plasma cells and has usually been longstanding.

The good news is that once it's been identified and treated with appropriate antibiotics, the problems it is causing may be resolved.

I wish I could give you the answer you want but any reason that is offered would just be a guess.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
Velicity
User

Post by Velicity »

Thank you for your reply.

Is douching a possible cause?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Most of the time we don't know what caused it but I have never seen douching suggested as a possible cause.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Velicity
User

Post by Velicity »

Thank you for your insight

Last question please. Is it possible to get chronic
Endometritis as a result of ONE miscarriage
Due to retained tissue that was untreated with antibiotics?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

It's possible. But miscarriages are not usually treated with antibiotics.

I would suggest you stop focusing on the cause because there is nothing you can do about it now even if you did know the cause, and concentrate on moving forward to a successful outcome.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Velicity
User

Post by Velicity »

I agree. Thank you.

In your experience, what are the chances of getting pregnant with chronic endometritis? Have ladies been able to conceive with this medical condition where it was not cured?

Thanks!
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

The chances of a successful conception would probably be greatly reduced if the endometritis was not successfully treated.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.