Dx: Amenorrhea, Anovulation and Morbid Obesity

ANJEN17
User

Dx: Amenorrhea, Anovulation and Morbid Obesity

Post by ANJEN17 »

Hi,
I am 27 yrs old with a BMI of 46.67 (295lbs). I have been ttc for a year now. A little hx:

I became pregnant when I was 19 ( Nov. 2008) and again in Aug.2009. Both times I had an abortion (by choice). Before the pregnancies I had a normal cycle. Nov. 2009 I started to bleed excessively and the bleeding lasted for about 8 months. The bleeding was constant with no spotting or breaks between. I finally went to the ER and received the DePo injection and bleeding stopped almost immediately. I was placed on birth control pills which prevented me from bleeding at all (no periods at this time). In 2012 the birth control pills were no longer effective (more bleeding) and I was placed on DePo injections again. I had an injection every three months for the next 3yrs. I stopped the Depo in Aug. 2015. I haven't been on any birth control since and have not had a normal cycle since 2009. I have been recently working with my Gynecologist to get pregnant with no luck. I've lost 30lbs since January and will strive to continue to lose more. I recently went for an pelvic US that read "normal" and all of my labs have been normal with the exception of a high LDL. There was a small cyst found on my right ovary that the MD stated was a "follicular cyst" and was normal. She prescribed Provera and Clomid and referred me to ReproductivePartners( you guys ;) ). She doesn't want me to take the medication until after my consult with your office.

Questions:

1. Do you think the abortions are the reason for my cycle issues now? Have you ever heard of this?

2. Do you think it is possible to conceive at my weight?

3. Do you think I should wait for the consult or go ahead and start taking the prescribed meds now?

4. Do you think a ovulation kit should be purchased before my consult?

5. What should I expect going forward? (If you can say/predict)

Thank you :?:
Last edited by ANJEN17 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Dx: Amenorrhea, Anovulation and Morbid Obesity

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Two steps in the right direction: you have lost 30 pounds and are trying to lose more and you have made an appointment with Reproductive Partners. :D

Answers:
1. Do you think the abortions are the reason for my cycle issues now? Have you ever heard of this?

They are not likely to be the reason for your abnormal bleeding. It is more likely a hormonal issue linked to your weight gain. The consult will help you with that.

2. Do you think it is possible to conceive at my weight?

Possible-yes. But a wiser strategy might be to continue to lose weight and get in the best shape possible for a pregnancy while you are working with your RPMG doctor to get your hormones in shape. I'll leave that decision to the doctor who sees you.

3. Do you think I should wait for the consult or go ahead and start taking the prescribed meds now?

Wait for the consult so your doctor can get a baseline on your hormones without interference from the medications.

4. Do you think a ovulation kit should be purchased before my consult?

Not yet.

5. What should I expect going forward? (If you can say/predict)

All I can predict is that your RPMG doc will fully evaluate your problem, coime up with answers and a plan and have a good chance of your being successful if your follow his/her advice.

Let us all know the outcome of the consult.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California