18 years old with POF?

lalal499
User

18 years old with POF?

Post by lalal499 »

I am hoping I can get some insight into my problem. I am 18 years old and have not had a period in 16 months (I went off bcp 16 months ago and got the one period after completing final pack and nothing for 16 months since). Before this, I was regular (first period at 12, every 28-35 days and went on bcp at 15 1/2 until I was 16 1/2).

Around the time I stopped getting a period, I also gained around 20 pounds. I was thin before this 18.5 bmi, so I am at a normal bmi now 22.8, though I feel heavy, considering most of my weight accumulated in my abdomen and face. I recently went to the doctor and he ordered a 24 hr. urine cortisol test (negative) and various labs. My blood glucose was 102, but even stranger was my total cholesterol was 276. This was surprising given my healthy lifestyle and normal weight. Also, one of my liver enzymes was elevated but he was not concerned about any of this and sent me to the gynecologist. She did a vaginal ultrasound and said although their are follicles on ovaries, she didn't think I have PCOS. Also, my FSH was 13 and LH was 2.8, which is flip-flopped as to what you'd expect for PCOS. She mentioned that my estrogen was a little low (not sure what) and ultrasonographer mentioned that my lining was very thin. She prescribed birth control, said the whole thing was "strange," but offered no further testing.

I do not want to take the birth control as I feel it will just mask my problems. I am assuming there is something strange going on (have not been able to lose even a pound, hair is very dry and thinning, feel tired, and of course NO PERIOD). So as I was researching, I saw information on Primary Ovarian Failure. Given my FSH and LH levels I feel this is a possibility. My questions are as follows:

1. Does this sound like POS to you?
2. Should I ask for karotype testing for turner's mosaic? (I am 4'11" so this seems possible)
3. If I do have POS, would this explain thin lining?
4. If I can find a doctor who will take this seriously, could my eggs be frozen at this time?
5. Is it possible that I actually DO have PCOS, even with my flip-flopped LH/FSH levels.
6. Could any of this account for the weight gain/high cholesterol numbers/and other symptoms?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: 18 years old with POF?

Post by Dr. Wisot »

These are all great and pertinent questions that I do not have enough information to answer.

But a consultation with a reproductive endocrinologist and further testing could provide some answers. I would certainly do a karyotype as one test. Your FSH is not in the range we usually see for premature ovarian failure. PCOS is a condition and there is not a specific test for it but to consider the diagnosis you need to have irregular or absent periods and masculinizing symptoms such as acne and excessive hair growth. Some docs now add PCO-type ovaries and require two out of three for the diagnosis.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California