Prolactin

Fonz0209
User

Prolactin

Post by Fonz0209 »

Hello-
Recently I've had prolactin tested after discovering galactorrhea. I last nursed my son 3 years ago. My level came back at 30. My current doc doesn't think this is high enough to treat with medication. Can you share your thoughts? We've been trying for over a year with no success. I also have slightly elevated FSH and slightly elevated glucose, and I am on synthroid for mild hypothyroid issues. I feel we should treat the prolactin, but he is uninterested in this course of action.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Prolactin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

I don't know what the normal values are for your doctor's lab but in most labs it's 5-40 which would mean your is in the normal range and usually would not be treated.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California
Fonz0209
User

Post by Fonz0209 »

Thanks. On the lab results, the normal range was no higher than 20. Mine was flagged as high, at 30.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

That's why it's important to know your doc's lab's normal values. But still it's not an alarming number.

If your periods are regular (or like they have always been) and if you are trying to conceive and your mid-luteal progesterone is normal I think most docs would just be repeating it after a period of time to make sure it's not going up and not evaluate or medicate at this point.

If you're still concerned go get a formal second opinion.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California