Recurrent Misscarriages

Valeria
User

Recurrent Misscarriages

Post by Valeria »

Hello,

I'm 31 years old and I had 1 miscarriage at 6 weeks 2 years ago and 1 chemical pregnancy at 4-5 weeks (happening right now :?). When I had my first miscarriage I had a bunch of blood work done everything was normal except the MTHFR defect ,I'm Homocygous for C677T my A1298C is normal (Wild Type), after that diagnosis I've been taking prenatal vitamins with high concentrations of Folate and Methylcobalamine and daily baby aspirin. However, I had the chemical pregnancy. None of my doctors tested my Progesterone levels during my pregnancy (except the day of the miscarriage), they only tested HCG levels which doubled every 2 days. I noticed that when I had my miscarriage at 6 weeks and the only time I got my Progesterone tested the level was 2.36 ng/ml (extremely low!). I also notice that 1-2 days before my periods I always have brown spotting, doing my research this has to do with low Progesterone levels. It is possible that my body is not producing enough Progesterone and this is the cause of my miscarriages?
Thank you in advance for your response :)
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Recurrent Misscarriages

Post by Dr. Wisot »

The progesterone level once you are having a miscarriage is not very helpful.
With the early spotting and miscarriages, the most helpful test would be an endometrial biopsy in the mid luteal phase to date the endometrium. That will show if you are having an appropriate progesterone effect for implantation. Once you are producing hCG that hCG will stimulate the corpus luteum to produce more progesterone.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group
Redondo Beach, California