Corpus Luteum Cyst Question

wannabeamom

Corpus Luteum Cyst Question

Post by wannabeamom »

I was in the office a number of times over the last week and am a bit confused by this morning's appointment.

I had a positive LH Surge on Day 9 of my cycle so came in on day 10 and my follicle was 17mm.

I came back again on Day 11 and it was 21.5mm. We did an in office LH test to confirm I had surged and it was in face positive so we did a 1st
insemination.

We came back on Day 12 to confirm I had ovulated, however I hadn't and now the follicle was measured at 27mm. We were told I should be ovulating at any time during that day so went ahead and did a 2nd insemination as we were told ovulation occurs max 36 hours after positive LH.

We were told we didn't need to come back the next morning, but decided to come in anyways just for final confirmation that I ovulated and good thing we did because we were told that I hadn't. The follicle was now at 30mm and lining decreased for 11mm yesterday to 8mm today. Now we were told we could come back in the next day but most likely I wouldn't ovulate and the follicle would turn into a cyst.

We did come back in the next morning, Day 14 of my cycle and this time I was told this was a bad cycle and that I had not ovulated and that I wouldn't ovulate this cycle. The follicle was now measured at 34mm. We were told to come back in Day 2 or 3 of next cycle for an ultrasound to figure out next steps.

Two days later, Day 16 I started bleeding late in the day and it continued through Day 17 and Day 18 (light but definitely more than spotting). We came in on Day 18, today and were told that the follicle is now a 35mm Corpus Luteum Cyst. My confusion is I was told I did not ovulate and wouldn't yt was told I have a Corpus Luteum cyst, however a Corpus Luteum is what the follicle is called AFTER ovulation. Is there a possibility I did ovulate? Or was this actually a follicular cyst instead?
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: Corpus Luteum Cyst Question

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Without seeing it it's hard to say what is happening. But it sounds most like a unruptured luteinized follicle.

Bottom line, it is a funky cycle. I think the best strategy now is to have a return consult to determine what to do in view of this information to try to prevent this from happening in the future.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California