low morphology

ttc2early

low morphology

Post by ttc2early »

My husband had his 1st s/a last week and it came back good except 3% morphology strict criteria. We have never had fertility issues before we actually have been pregnant 6 times but with 4 losses. Now since I had my last surgery in December for Ashermans for the first time we are not able to conceive. So after all my tests came back perfect my husband does the s/a and we find out he has abnormal sperm. we have never done the test before so I have no comparison so I am thinking since we have never had a problem conceiving before that this is a newer issue. My re has given him a list of vitamins to take as well as he has gone off Vyvanse which I think may have caused the problem...do you have any info on this? My re has also said that his choice for our next step would be IUI. I feel like we could try a couple more months on our own and it seems like the chances of success would be low with IUI or not at this point wouldn't it? I also was given the option to do a medicated cycle without IUI. Does everyone require with medicated cycles that they be monitored even without IUI? Can you tell me why you would need to be monitored by u/s b/w when you aren't doing a IUI? Does the period of abstinence effect the test result as far as morphology goes? Are these tests pretty accurate with only 1 sample?Thanks for any help you can assist me with.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Re: low morphology

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Hi:

Morphology issues can be associated with increased DNA fragmentation and the antioxidant vitamins can help with that. The other strategy especially if the count and motility are good is daily ejaculations before the try to conceive.

I cannot make specific recommendation on treatment here but can tell you that if they do use fertility drugs, whether you have IUI or not you need to have the response monitored so you are trying to get pregnant at the right time and do not run into trouble with the drugs.

I hope that with that many miscarriages you have been tested for the most common reasons for repeated miscarriage.

Good luck.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, California
ttc2early

Post by ttc2early »

Thanks for your answers. Interesting I thought maybe if there was less ejaculation it would be better. Does morphology change with time or is it what it is I guess what I am asking is if you obstain longer will that level go up? To answer about the repeat losses yes I have been tested and I think the conclusion since they were all early that it may have been a uterine septum I had removed. I was able to have a child before I knew about it and then 3 losses then surgery and then I had a child and then another loss. After my recent loss they tested it and it was chromosonally normal as was 1 prior to that. I had a repeat hysteroscopy and had scar tissue that was thought to be the problem with the last one. I also tested hetero MTHFR which I take Folgard, low dose asa and lovenox once pregnant. They also supplement me with p4.
Dr. Wisot
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Wisot »

Morphology can change with time and is unrelated to the period of abstinence.

It sounds like you have enough uterus issues to explain the miscarriage problem especially if the chromosomes have been normal.

Arthur L. Wisot, M. D.
Reproductive Partners Medical Group, Inc.
Redondo Beach, CaliforniaDr. Wisot
Site Admin

Private messageE-mail Dr. Wisot